Monday, August 12, 2013

August 12, 2013

Hey Everyone, 

It's so fun to see all the pictures of what you're all up to each  week! I especially loved the pictures of Andrew and Josh with the Mohawks, and Andrew holding the cute little puppy! Those pictures made my whole day! I'm glad to see and hear you're all having so much fun! I miss you guys... It's so fun to be able to keep in touch, it almost feels like I get to be with you when I see those pictures and read all of your emails! I'm so sorry I haven't been very responsive to all your emails. We don't get much time to email, and after I read all of them, and write the mission president I don't have much time.. But I sure appreciate all of them. Thank- you all for your love, support, and kind words. After I wrote last, I hadn't had a chance to open that package yet, I sure enjoyed opening all of your sweet letters, and I loved the "Sunshine" package! It really did bring sunshine on that rainy day that I opened it! So thank you again, You'll have to tell the Winkelman's I loved their letters as well! Also Mom, thank you so much for sending that shoe polish, my shoes look so nice again, they look brand new again! So thank-you for everything! 

This week was so much fun, we had a cute girl named Monica Allen come stay with us, she is Martialese and she came on what they call a "Mini-Mission" and she was about 4'11" so we called her our mini missionary. We had a lot of fun with her this week, she kind of looked like Raven Symone, and had a similar personality as well, she was so funny. Whenever she agreed with us, We loved having her with us, she got to see the 24/7 side of missionary work. She's a convert, and had such a sweet testimony. So that was a fun surprise this week!

Anyway, this week has been incredible! I have learned so much this week, and I have seen so many miracles! This week we started biking, we share our car with another set of Sisters. I didn't have the best attitude at first, The weather is quite warm here, and there are several hills, and biking in a skirt isn't the easiest task. Yet, ever since we began biking, I feel since we have been sacrificing a little more God has been blessing us more. On a bike, it's so much easier to talk to people! While we were biking home one night, we saw a man and a boy sitting on the curb. We stopped to talk to them, and we came to learn that the young boy Dakota was homeless, and the man- Berry was trying to help him out. We didn't know what to say at first... I was wishing we could just pull out a solution and tell him of a place he could stay... We just talked and listened.. We got on the subject of religion, and began to ask Berry about his faith. He said that he was adventist, and that he was thinking of starting his own church. I felt prompted to ask Berry if he had ever wondered why there are so many churches... He sat there and thought for a minute, then he answered and said he wasn't sure, but that everyone had their own way of drawing nearer to God, and that God was just happy that they were. Sister Knowlton and I went on to teach him about the restoration, and then we taught him about that the fullness of truth has been restored, and we went on to talk about the Book of Mormon. I felt my mouth was filled as I told him that prophets in the America's saw our day, and were inspired by God to write about what would bless in our times. I felt the spirit so strongly as we taught Berry. He told us he is about to be baptized as an Adventist, but that he's going to take into consideration the Book of Mormon, and wait to be baptized as an Adventist. It was so touching to see his heart softened as we spoke to him. We later learned that he is a famous country singer, Berry White! You'll have to google him! His wife came out to call him in for dinner, and we came to learn that she teaches at Central Valley High School, and she said, The LDS kids are what make CV High Great! It was touching to hear that those LDS kids have been such great examples, It's incredible that people do watch for our example, and it does have an impact on them. 

Something I've realized this week, is that we have the power to be influences, no matter where we are in life. We don't have to be missionaries to be an influence. We have the power to speak kind words and recognize the good in others and validate them. We can help those in our lives desire to be better people. When we become better people, we are using the atonement and coming closer to Jesus Christ. So I know each of you has an incredible influence for good, and I know Heavenly Father puts people in our paths for a reason. I love the quote, you were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't forget that. 

Another neat story I feel I should share is a story about Ann. She is the woman we teach that lives in the Mirabeau Home- The Adult Home. She lost her wallet about a week ago, and we felt impressed to teach her about prayer. We encouraged her each day to pray that she could find her wallet. She said she'd been praying but day after day, she still hadn't found it. Come Friday, we felt inspired to share a scripture about miracles. Mormon 9: 19-21 It's one of my favorites! Anyway, it goes on to say in verse 21- " Whoso Believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him." Afterwards she said, "Oh, good news! I forgot to tell you I found my wallet in the transit lost and found!" she was overjoyed and so were we. Usually the bus transit lost and found throws away their finds after a few days, so it truly was a miracle her wallet was still there. It was just such a testimony to me of prayer. Heavenly Father doesn't always answer our prayers right away, sometimes he waits to see if we'll trust in him. I know Heavenly Father will always answer our prayers. 

Anyway, There are so many incredible stories I could share with you... But here's a little glimpse of my week. 
I love you all and I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! I hope you all have a great week!

Love Always, 

Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment